Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sourdough "Bread"

Given that we don't eat grains, bread has been out of our life for a long time. Husband developed this recipe because he was craving sourdough. He'd started using sourdough in biscuits and through he might try making bread. This is now off limits for us because he was making his sourdough started with almond flour and that is no longer a go for us. He's experimenting with sweet potato for the starter now. We'll see if we can get something working.
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup sourdough starter
  • 1 c potato flour
  • 2 c tapioca flour
  1. The night before you make the bread, feed the sourdough. I didn't do this last time and I think it's why I ended up making flatbread. For best results, you should add about 4 times the volume of existing starter, about an equal mix flour and water. I used both potato flour and almond flour.
  2. In the morning, place eggs in mixer bowl and mix a good long time. Then add sourdough and start adding salt and flour. I started with just 1 cup each and then switched to the dough hook.
  3. Switch to the dough hook and run it at the lowest possible speed. It probably says this in the instructions which I didn't read, but the dough hook doesn't really do anything at high speed - just spins around a solid lump of dough.
  4. Since I was guessing at the flour quantities, I added the entire second cup of tapioca flour a tiny sprinkle at a time. I don't know if that affected the consistency. I let the dough hook run for quite a while - 5 or 10 minutes after I was all done adding flour.
  5. Turn the dough out into a bowl and sprinkle with tapioca flour so it doesn't stick to anything. Cover with cloth and leave in a warm place all day.
  6. Come home in the evening and be amazed that the thing actually rose. I know this is normal for some people, but I've never been very good with bread, so it's always a miracle when it works at all. Squish it down into a disc. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake about 25 minutes.