Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Maple Syrup Pie

Last year, I got a hankering for maple syrup pie, not the real maple syrup pie but more like a sugar pie made with maple syrup instead of sugar. I salivated over this concept and finally made a few pies for the holidays. It's a perfect option for people who cannot have nuts but still would like something akin to a pecan pie for the holidays. The recipe I ended up using is based on a pecan pie recipe because a true maple syrup pie (eaten in Canada and New England) is a whole different animal with flour in the filling.

I made my filling according to a similar recipe to this one, minus the pecans: http://glutenfreefix.com/maple-pecan-pie/.

I don't have a solid recipe to recommend or a homegrown one to share as I forget exactly what I did last year, but the concept is so awesome, I needed to get it out there before everyone goes and makes their pies.