Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Fauxtmeal

The last time I had oatmeal I described the sensation that followed as "it feels like someone is trying to peel my intestines inside out". I have never had it again, but who doesn't love hot porridge? My husband recently developed this recipe based on tapioca pudding. But it tastes exactly like a creamy oatmeal and it's very good. I've been trying to decide if we could make it up in the crock pot overnight, but have not tried that yet. Use the small tapioca pearls or you will be stirring all night.

1 package tapioca pearls (8oz) - soak in water overnight and drain

Add: 

2 beaten eggs
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp. salt

Whisk together:

4 egg yolks
2 T melted ghee or butter
water to make three cups total

Add this liquid to mixture of tapioca, maple syrup and salt. Stir 15-20 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly (don't allow to boil or bubble). Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla and salt to taste. The pearls will be translucent when done.